Adjectives, one of the most powerful and important aspects of English for the grammar nazis and English enthusiasts to learn, write and speak the global language, are also one of the easiest subjects of spoken and written English. Adjectives are more like icing on a cake, which means they make your passage or a communication better, in a sense that it makes it more vivid and conveys the feeling and the emotion of a writer aptly to the reader.
Descriptive Adjectives are a category of adjectives that are mostly used to describe a noun vividly in novels, essays, passages, and write-ups. Descriptive Adjectives are very different from other types of adjectives and we are going to discuss that in brief in the subsequent sections of this article on descriptive words. In this particular article on descriptive words, we are going to discuss the following:
- What are Descriptive Adjectives?
- Descriptive Adjectives List
- Assignment on Descriptive Adjectives
- Descriptive Adjectives Examples
- What is the Importance of Descriptive Adjectives?
- Name a few examples of Descriptive Adjectives?
- How to teach descriptive adjectives to students in school?
- How are descriptive adjectives helpful?
- Where are descriptive adjectives used?
What are Descriptive Adjectives?
Descriptive Adjectives are words that are used in the English language, for the written and oral forms of communication, to modify a noun or a pronoun by describing it or expressing it vividly. For example, “it is a very long journey to Delhi from Mumbai”, the word length is a descriptive adjective. Also, “the tiger is a ferocious animal”, the word ferocious is a descriptive adjective.
If you observe, the usage of descriptive adjectives in the sentences enhances and provides an accurate representation of nouns under description. Without the word long in the first example, the full explanation of the journey is not done and the reader will not have enough information to conclude the noun that is being described in the sentence. Also, they help in modifying the noun. In the second example of the tiger, the word ferocious explains and gives an accurate idea to the reader about the type of animal under discussion. It also conveys the thought process of the writer, very aptly and vividly to the reader.
Descriptive Adjectives List
Below we have given a comprehensive list of 100 descriptive adjectives that can be used for different purposes by students, teachers, etc.
- Light Hearted
- Well read
Assignment on Descriptive Adjectives
As a small activity or an assignment, we advise students to make sentences on their own using the list of 100 descriptive adjectives given in the above section. This will help them understand when to use Descriptive Adjectives and, more importantly, when not to use Descriptive Adjectives and learn the appropriate situation to use the same.
If you are unable to speak or write in English, you can download our English Grammar Notes & study material for free that helps you to improve your English communication skills.
Descriptive Adjectives Examples
Below we have given a few examples of sentence formation using Descriptive Adjectives for students and teachers to learn and write the same.
- The cashier at the counter was particularly rude to all the women customers waiting in the line
- The bike that my friend got me was as fast as a bullet
- The horse that we saw the other day was black, shiny, and beautiful
- The tigers in the zoo were looking dull and lethargic
- Rohit, who according to me is the most energetic employee in the company, has won the employee of the year title
- I have developed a thick skin over the years and I am almost immune to criticism and negative thoughts
- Narendra Modi, the Prime Minister of India, is a very well-known and well-read person
- I fell sick during the second wave of the COVID-19 pandemic and couldn’t recover for almost 20 long days
- She was an evil-minded person and no one likes her in our classroom
- Having a good sense of humour, he gets along with everyone in the school and is sort of a popular guy
What is the Importance of Descriptive Adjectives?
The following pointers will help one understand the importance of proper usage of Descriptive Adjectives in passage formation and casual communication:
- Essay writing: Good essay writing, in itself, is a talent that many people develop eventually over the years. Usage of proper adjectives, in addition to other English grammar such as nouns, verbs, and tenses, is what makes a good essay
- Email communication: Good mail communication is a very important criterion for one to survive in a corporate environment. Usage of appropriate descriptive adjectives is going to aid one in drafting a well-rounded email
- Scriptwriting: Script writing, in a nutshell, is basically about conveying the emotions of the readers and converting their thoughts into words. And for this to happen vividly, a good vocabulary, including but not limited to appropriate usage of Descriptive Adjectives is important
- General communication: In this era of globalization and the 22nd-century digital world, good hold and command over the English language pave a long way. Whether it’s to impress your boss during appraisal, HR during the interview, or on your date, good English can help you make a great impression. Trust us, good usage of Descriptive Adjectives is going to help one achieve this.
FAQs on Descriptive Adjectives
1. Name a few examples of Descriptive Adjectives?
Angry, fast, ferocious, delicious, and vivid are a few words that can be used as Descriptive Adjectives in a sentence formation
2. How to teach descriptive adjectives to students in school?
Descriptive adjectives can be thought of for students using various teaching methodologies such as homework, class works, assignments, regular class tests, classroom activities, games, etc.
3. How are descriptive adjectives helpful?
Descriptive adjectives will help a writer convey his or her feelings and thoughts and impressions aptly to the reader through a good usage of Descriptive Adjectives
4. Where are descriptive adjectives used?
Descriptive adjectives are used in email drafting, essay writing, answer writing, script writing, novel writing, and general form of communication.