As they say, English is a funny language and it’s the fun and complexity that is associated with this language that makes it interesting and more importantly, globally used. In this particular article on Action Verbs List, we are going to discuss the following items that are going to help students understand action verbs. In addition to discussing the above-mentioned topics for action words, readers will also learn to frame sentences and improve their vocabulary through this article.
- What are Action Verbs?
- Where are Action Verbs used?
- Action Verbs List PDF
- Fun Exercise to Teach Action Verbs to Kids
- Action Verbs Example Sentences
- Importance of Action Verbs
- Where are action verbs frequently used?
- Name a few examples of action verbs?
- Can action Verbs be used to describe nouns?
- How to teach action verbs in classrooms?
Action verbs are a category of words that are used to describe an action such as running, jumping, jogging, crying, etc. The usage of action verbs will enhance one’s sentence and make a write-up more vivid. A proper sentence formation using an action verb will help one frame a good paragraph. Subject, action verb and the conclusion of the sentence is the sequential way in which one can write action verbs.
Action verbs are used in the following areas
- Writing Essays: action verbs are used in writing essays effectively. The usage of action verbs will enhance a passage and make it more realistic
- Answer Writing: Subjective answer writing is an important aspect of a student’s life and the usage of proper action verbs to describe certain types of verbs and situations is going to help them score well in tests, assignments and examinations
- Blogging and content writing: Blogging and content writing has become a big part of social media and digital circles where it is not just used by people to learn and expand their knowledge horizon but also used to make money and conduct businesses. Given such a lucrative scenario, usage of proper action verbs in formulating blogging and articles is going to make one’s article more informative and expressive that is going to help readers and gain loyalty among them
- Corporate Communication: Corporate communication is a big department in any of the established companies and proper communication, both internal and external, is important to maintain the brand image and brand value of the firm. A proper grammatical value with good usage of action verbs, adjectives, nouns, and verbs is going to keep that image and create a sense of brand value for corporate houses
Below we have given a comprehensive list of 100 action verbs in English that can be used by students, teachers, writers, and general English enthusiasts for framing passages and sentences:
To teach action verbs effectively to students, teachers can create certain fun exercises in the classroom such as making students do one of the action words that they want to. For example, if a student says the action verb run or jump or hug, a group of students can perform those action verbs and have fun in the classroom.
Another effective way to teach action words to students is to give homework, class work, timely tests, and assignments so that they become well-versed in the English Grammar.
Below have provided 10 sentences that contain action verbs and as an exercise, we advised students to point out the action verbs used in the sentences below.
- Usain Bolt runs at a speed of 9 seconds per hundred meter
- Michael Phelps swims faster than anyone in the world and he holds the world record as the fastest swimmer in the world
- To maintain good health, one requires a minimum of 8 hours of sleep in a day
- Good eating habits include having scrumptious Breakfast, average lunch, and below-average dinner to maintain good health and weight
- Setting around all day only increases once the risk of heart disease and may lead to obesity
- Students should be thought the habit of reading every day to improve their knowledge and reading ability
- Nowadays, the skill of writing is diminishing because of the increased usage of laptops and smartphones
- Talking on the phone every day deteriorates a person’s mental health along with creating problems with the ears
- Every day I cycle to my office and that helps me burn a minimum of 500 calories in a day
- Virat Kohli is one of the highest scorers of runs in ODI cricket around the world
Now that we have learnt how to and where to use action words, now let us briefly understand the importance of action verbs and where they are mostly used.
Action words are important in describing a situation, circumstance, noun or verb accurately so that the feelings and expressions of the writer are conveyed aptly to the readers. Also, the usage of action words is going to reduce the number of words that are used to describe a situation and circumstance. Usage of action verbs appropriately is going to help one improve his or her vocabulary and hence create an impression in their write-up.
Our English Grammar Notes are prepared by the subject experts so it helps the students who are preparing for the Competitive Exams to get qualified for the next level.
FAQs on English Action Verbs List
Action Verbs are frequently used in essay writing, blogs, and copywriting.
Run, sit, stand, walk, eat, cry, job, clean, cook, read, write and speak are some of the examples of action verbs.
Action verbs can be aptly used to describe nouns in passages or essays.
Students can be given class works and asked to write hundred action words and 10 sentences using the list of action words for effective learning within the classroom environment.