Every sentence consists of two parts, subject and predicate :
- The part which names the person or thing we speak about.
This part of the sentence is called the Subject.
- What is said of the person or thing denoted by the Subject.
This part of the sentence is called the Predicate.
- Notice how these sentences are divided into Subject and Predicate:—
|1.||We||have done our duty|
|2.||Birds||fly in the air|
|3.||A bad workman||blames his tools.|
|4.||The Rich||are not always happy|
|5.||The Early Bird||Catches the worm.|
- The Subject does not always come at the beginning of the sentence :
- How badly you sing!
- Across the path lay a frozen snake.
- Down dropped the breeze.
- Sweet are the uses of adversity.
|1.||You||sing how badly|
|2.||The breeze||dropped down|
|3.||A frozen snake||lay across the path|
|4.||The uses of adversity||are sweet|
- In Imperative Sentences the Subject is generally left out; as,
Do this. [Here the Subject You is understood.]
Thank you. [Here the Subject I is understood.]
Exercise 1: Divide the following sentences into Subject and Predicate
- A barking sound the shepherd hears.
- Don’t make a noise.
- The country is lovely in autumn.
- The boy stood on the burning deck.
- The stars are shining brightly.
- The sun went down.
- Work hard.
- Darkness came quickly on.
- Down fell the mango.
- Strange are the ways of God.
- Stone walls do not a prison make.
- No man can serve two masters.
- The singing of the birds delights us.
- Swimming is the best kind of exercise.
- Delhi, the capital of India, stands on the Yamuna.
Exercise 2: Add suitable Predicates to the following subjects
- The earth________________
- The stars________________
- A good boy_____________
- A stationer______________
- A butcher_______________
- Our class ____________
- Our Headmaster ____________
- The sun ____________
- The Queen of England ____________
- Our Prime Minister ____________
Exercise 3: Add suitable Subjects to the following Predicates
- _______________________ consists of thirty pupils.
- ______________________ is always liked by his teachers.
- ______________________ opened the Exhibition.
- _______________________ does not move round the earth.
- _______________________ revolves round the sun.
- _______________________ are shining brightly in the sky.
- _______________________ lives in Delhi.
- _______________________ make one rupee.
- _______________________ sells meat.
- _______________________ is very strict.