Descriptive words are those words in the English language that enhance one’s writing by describing situations, circumstances, places, animals, things or abstract. With or without our knowledge, describing something or someone is one thing that is inculcated in us right from the beginning and the usage of proper descriptive words will enhance our write-ups and make them more decisive.
In this particular article on descriptive words, we are going to provide a 360-degree overview for student writers and teachers on the different types of descriptive words and below are the topics that we are going to discuss in this particular article.
- Descriptive Words – Definition
- Different Types of Descriptive Words
- Common Descriptive Words for Students
- Descriptive Words in English with Useful Examples
- Uses of Descriptive Words in English
- What is the importance of Descriptive Words in the English language?
- What are some examples of Descriptive Words?
- How will knowledge of Descriptive Words help me in my career?
- Are descriptive words the same as Adjectives?
Descriptive Words – Definition
Descriptive Words or Phrases are a group of words or phrases that help in describing a noun or a verb and are used extensively in the English language in both written and oral communication.
Descriptive words in themselves are very unique in the English language because they are dynamic and can be used against nouns, verbs, adjectives and action verbs. In the further sections of this article, we are going to show how effectively descriptive words can be used and how it changes the tone and texture of one’s argument and communication.
Different Types of Descriptive Words
Below we have provided three types of Descriptive Words with varying usage and application:
- Adjectives: Adjectives are a group of words that are used to describe nouns
- Adverbs: Adverbs are a group of words or a single word that helps in modifying the description of a verb or a whole sentence. Adverbs are also used to modify an adjective or another adverb
- Participles: Participles, similar to adjectives, can be used to modify or indicate an outgoing action for a verb
Common Descriptive Words for Students
Below we have given a comprehensive list of Descriptive Words that can be used by writers, students and teachers to enhance and make vivid, their forms of communication
- Well mannered
The above-provided list of descriptive words can be used across various occasions and circumstances and we advise students to make out more list of descriptive words and keep it handy whenever they require them.
Descriptive Words in English with Useful Examples
Below we have provided 10 examples of descriptive words in sentence formation. As a fun activity, we advise students to point out the descriptive words that are used in these sentences and also to categories each of the descriptive words into the particular category mentioned in the above section of this article
- The sunset that is seen across the street is particularly beautiful and mesmerizing
- Anand given his age is very mature and perceptive among his friends
- The ostrich rhymes with Li across the pond without any hindrance
- The sky looks beautiful and is extremely colourful today
- There was a massive crowd gathered outside the celebrities house on his birthday
- Being a very sincere and hardworking student, Suraj received the best student award for the year in his school
- It is the trust we nature of someone that gets them what they want from people this is one of the most important traits for leadership
- The science exam this year was demanding and it took out plenty of energy from the students
- I was elated to know that I was the topper of the class for this year
- The pizza that was prepared by my mom was very delicious
Uses of Descriptive Words in English
Descriptive words can be used in the following scenarios. They are as follows
- Essay writing
- Content writing
- Email drafting
- Oral communication
If you are unable to speak or write in English, you can download our English Grammar Notes & study material for free that helps you to improve your English communication skills.
FAQs on Descriptive Words
1. What is the importance of Descriptive Words in the English language?
Descriptive Words are widely used in the English language and help one improve his or her writing skills
2. What are some examples of Descriptive Words?
Swift, beautiful, amazing, great, delicious etc., are some of the examples of Descriptive Words
3. How will knowledge of Descriptive Words help me in my career?
Descriptive words and their proper usage will help one frame good sentences and it is going to help crack interviews and written exams
4. Are descriptive words the same as Adjectives?
Adjectives are a type of Descriptive Words, as in Adverbs.