Alternative Ways to Say “How are you?”: Everyone wants someone to ask them about their life. Someone who will sit with them and listen to their daily life stories and react to them. Asking someone how they are can make an individual feel mattered and important. You never know what people are going through and sometimes asking the least can make them feel good.
But sometimes people often don’t find the right words to ask how you are today to someone going through a hard time. There are different ways to ask how are you feeling or how are you in the English language. Sometimes using the same language over and over again can become boring.
For some people, it might boost their confidence and make them smarter, but it becomes dull and mundane for some. In this article, more than 20 ways to ask how are you has been discussed. Let us all put our best efforts and make someone feel important by asking them about their life.
Ways to Say “How are you?”
- What is how are you?
- Ways of asking how are you?
- How to answer when someone asks how are you?
- Frequently Asked Questions
How are you refers to a phrase that one uses when they interact with someone they know. The use of this phrase is generally for asking information about someone’s health. Sometimes, it is also casually seen as a friendly greeting where the speaker asks about the mood about the other person.
It is an perfect greeting that fits all perspective and people use this for years. Let us take a look into a few different ways in which one can ask how are you?
- How is everything going?
- Are things coming along the way you wanted?
- Is there anything new in your life?
- How have you been?
- Are you alright?
- Are you taking proper care of yourself?
- How is life?
- It has really been such a long time
- Ah! It feels so good to see you after so long.
- How have you been all these years?
- It has been so long since we last met, are you doing fine?
- Fill me in regarding every little detail of your life
- Did anything out of the ordinary or exciting occurred in your life?
- Fill me in about the latest buzz
- Going with the flow, huh?
- What’s with that look?
- Hey, you look miserable. Wanna share?
- I heard what happened. How are you coping?
- Anything spicy in your life?
- Hey, you good?
- Hey man, what’s the latest news?
- I really missed you, tell me everything that happened. Do not miss out a single detail.
- I’m all ears. Go ahead and inform me about your day.
There are different ways of responding when someone asks how are you. Not all how are you’s mean the same thing and therefore each how are you needs to be responded by something that suits the situation.
The most typical respond to this question is “I am fine, thank-you”. While most of the time it works, sometimes people may think it is too robotic and you’re not interested to talk to them. To avoid that, and sound more realistic and natural, you can say
- I’m actually pretty good.
- I am awesome. What about you?
- Hey! thanks for asking. I am pretty fine.
- Bright and happy.
- Sunshine and rainbows.
- I am totally fine.
If you’re not feeling very lively and up-beat, then you might not want to use the above responses. Instead, you can use these
- I’m not dead, I guess?
- I am doing OK.
- Same old.
- Last week was really tough.
- Better now that I know someone is here to listen.
- Nothing much.
- I’m hanging in there.
These are some of the common ways of responding to the question. You may add your little twists and come up with a sentence of your own. Always going with the same, old answers may get boring for you and also for the person asking the question.
Mixing things up a little and exploring the language English. You’ll find a ton of ways to not only ask the question but also respond to it.
To conclude, there are various ways to ask someone about how they are. One always doesn’t need to use the clichéd term, “how are you?”. They can try out new and alternative ways of asking that question. Once can even come up with quirky answers.
Asking someone how they are can help individuals feel that they matter and someone is there to listen to them talk about themselves. This makes people feel happy and soothing.
- What is a cute way to ask how are you?
Answer: Asking how are you to someone you like or adore can be a bit boring. Instead you can ask things like:
- Hey, what made you smile to brightly?
- You look very sunshine-y. What’s the secret?
- Someone’s bright and shiny. May I know what’s the reason behind it?
- How to show that you’re interested in someone by asking how they are?
Answer: Just by posing the question how they are, one may not express the true meaning behind asking it. For a clearer perspective, ask something in a more straight way to show them that you are interested in them. For example,
- Hey, what is the latest song you’ve been hooked on to?
- I read the entire book that you were so excited about. Wanna talk?
- What is the most exciting thing you have experienced recently?
- Why is it important to ask how are you?
Many people think that questions are asked only when you are unaware about something. But that is absolutely not true. You can simply ask questions like how are you to make someone feel better or just as a formality. In the US, “how are you” is not considered as a question but simply a greeting. The answer to the greeting depends on the relationship shared by the two people.
Asking this simple question or greeting may not be a big thing for most of the people, but for some it might actually matter a lot. You never know what people are going through everyday and asking this question in an alternative way may just make their day. It is also important to get your greetings correctly when you’re meeting someone.