Study carefully how Verbs are formed from Nouns and Adjectives and how Nouns are formed from Verbs and Adjectives. The following tables will help you to build up your vocabulary also.
FORMATION OF VERBS FROM NOUNS
Formation of Nouns from Verbs
FORMATION OF ABSTRACT NOUNS
FORMATION OF ADJECTIVES FROM NOUNS
Exercise : Fill in the blanks With proper forms of words given in the brackets:
- We must show______ towards animals. (kind)
- Some students become____ at the time of examination (fever)
- I was______ pleased with his good manners. (immense)
- My friends wanted me to__ them to witness the cricket match. (company)
- He showed great____ . (patient)
- ___________ can overcome mountains. (persevere)
- ___________ before self should be our aim in life. (serve)
- Are you______ when you are alone in the dark? (nerve)
- There is no______ among rotten apples (choose)
- Too much ___________ breeds contempt. (familiar)
- At the ___________ of his speech he was highly cheered. (conclude)
- An actor must have a clear ___________ of the part he is to play, (conceive)
- There is keen ___________ in every trade. (compete)
- There is no ___________ between them. (compare)
- He received a ___________ ticket. (compliment)
- A defeated country usually signs a treaty of peace under ___________ .(compel)
- You must take your parents into ___________. (confide)
- I sent a ___________ letter to her. (console)
- He was ___________ enough to have a qood income. (fortune)
- He was on ___________ terms with his employer. (friend)
- He is at ___________ with his neighbour. (enemy)
- Smoking is ___________ to health. (injury)
- He is an ___________ politician. (influence)
- It was an ___________ lecture. (inform)
- He is suffering from an ___________ disease. (infection)
- His ___________ was hailed by all. (acquit)
- You are ___________ to me for this money. (account)
- He was ___________ shot dead by his friend. (accident)
- This book is a useful ___________ to our library. (add)
- I ___________ you there’s no danger. (sure)
Exercise : Rewrite the following sentences after filling in the blank in the second senetence of each pair with the appropriate form of the word given in italics in the first sentence.
- He is very familiar with the languages spoken in South India.
His_______ with the languages spoken in South India surprised me.
- I have no doubt that he will succeed.
Are you______ of his success?
- He is regular in attending school.
He won a prize for____ in attending the school.
- He is always dressed in the latest
He is a_______ man.
- He comes of a noble
Everyone likes him for his___.
- I suspect his honesty.
I am______ about his honesty .
- He is a responsible young man.
He always realises his _____.
- Very few people could survive the earthquake.
The Prime Minister sent help to the___ of the earthquake.
- You will slipif you don’t walk carefully.
It is difficult to walk on___ roads.
- Many people smuggleSwiss watches into India.
His uncle is a______ of watches.
- He is a sincere friend.
He is loved by his friends for his ______
- He believes in spiritualism.
He is a_____ .
- Man is the only animal that can speak
Man is the only animal that has the faculty of ______.
- Advani is very diligent.
He is admired by everyone for his___.
- I feel confident that he will not deceive us.
I hope he will prove worthy of our__.
- Has the news of Rani’s marriage been confirmed?
No, we are waiting for the____ of the news.
- He is determined to succeed.
His_______ is praiseworthy.
- She resembles her sister very much.
Their_______ has created confusion many a time.
- You should be respectful to your seniors.
I know you all come of___ families.
- What medicines has the doctor prescribed for you?
You must take medicines according to the doctor’s ______.
- I accept your offer.
Your offer is______ to me.
- Do fairies exists?
Not in real life. Their_____ is confined to fairly tales only.
- He is always
He is always sunk in deep____.
- Roman died in an accident.
His death was_____ .
- It is normal for a child to eat four times a day.
_______ , a child eats four times a day.
- There were two similar statements.
The______ between them was hardly noticeable.
- How do you pronounce this word?
His_______ is improving.
- Can you prove your nationality?
Does it require any______ ?
- We are often deceived by appearances.
Appearance are often. ___ .
- She defied her husband.
Her______ naturally irritated her husband.