Physical appearance, though not the most important aspect of a person’s persona, is one of the most recognizable and impactful aspects. The adjectives for physical appearance are plenty in the English language. Physical appearance can be defined as well-structured features and traits of one’s body and face. These are the traits that are visually appealing to others.
Physical appearance is the very first impression that one can make in front of others or strangers and that is why having a good physical appearance is an extremely important to have a good first impression. Be it an interview, dating, party, wedding, or casual meet-up of friends, a good physical appearance always bodes well with a person. In this particular article on Describing the Physical Appearances of a person or a thing, we are going to discuss the following.
- How to Describe Physical Traits List PDF?
- Adjectives Describing Physical Appearance and Personality
- List of Adjectives for Physical Appearance
- Adjectives Describing Physical Appearance Example Sentences
- What are the main physical features adjectives to describe a person?
- What is the importance of describing physical appearances using adjectives?
- Are physical appearances universal?
Before describing a sensitive subject such as someone’s physical appearance, one has to keep the following things in mind
- Be sensitive to someone’s feelings towards their physical appearance
- One should not be judgemental about looks or physical stature
- One should be kind and humble in describing a physical appearance
- One should be very good observant to give a good physical appearance description
- One has to be sensitive and careful while describing racial complexions to not hurt someone’s ethnic and cultural bond
The following are the adjectives to describe physical appearance.
- Facial features
- Use of props etc.
The above are the most common adjectives used to describe physical appearance in addition to other features such as beard, chin, nostrils, dressing style, teeth, lips, eyebrows, mustache, fringe, forehead, hands, fingers, etc. A good observant and a keen sense of curiosity will aid well in describing someone’s or something’s physical appearance.
One needs to know physical appearance adjectives very well to describe physical appearance. Along with good adjectives on physical appearance, you should also know to present continuous and simple present to form good sentences while describing a person’s physical appearance. Some of the examples of describing a person’s physical appearance using adjectives are
- He is a very tall guy
- He has insightful eyes
- She is wearing a black saree and a watch
- He is handsome
- She has a beautiful handwriting
- That horse has beautiful hairs
- The kid is wearing a white dress
We recommend students identify the adjectives in the above examples and list them out.
Other than these, below one can find other adjectives to describe physical appearance:
Lets us understand each of the vocabulary mentioned above and how they can be used to describe physical appearance
Height is the most visible physical appearance. Here are examples of how to describe height as a physical appearance:
- That is a very short dog
- He is a tall and handsome guy
- That building is very tall
- She is of medium height
- That saree is of standard size and length
After height, it is the weight of a person that people observe at the very first instance. Here is how one can describe weight:
- Those animals in the zoo are very skinny
- She is overweight for her age and height
- She is obese
- That is a very fat pigeon
- He is a very big guy
- He has become slim and fit
Here are a few examples of complexion description as a physical appearance:
- That horse is black and beautiful
- The guy who you saw was fairly dark for his origin
- That cat has a white complexion
- Brown complexion has its own charm
- Black people have a good amount of melanin in their skin
Below are the examples of Build as a physical appearance:
- He has a well-built muscular biceps
- Her hips are wider than most girls
- He has a fairly large forehead for his age
- The baby has such tiny fingers
- The elephant we saw was pretty huge for its breed
Below are examples of Hair as a physical appearance:
- She has very black and thick hairs
- The white hairs on that horse go well with its paddles
- People with certain genetic categories have a very hairy body
- Boys start to grow hairs on their faces after the age of 14
- Baldness in males is very common after the age of 40 due to genetic mutation
Below are the examples of Facial Features as a physical appearance
- She has a very wide nose and a tiny face
- The dog breed of pug has a very short nose and skinny ears
- His teeth are within his jaw lines and that makes his facial features sharper
- He has a fairly small eye for his race
English Grammar Notes present on our website cover popular grammar points using simple explanations, and examples with answers and makes your practice more accessible.
FAQs on Describing Physical Appearance
The important physical features adjectives to describe a people are height, weight, complexion, hair, and facial features.
One needs to learn how to describe physical appearances in a well-mannered and crisp way so that they can use it in normal conversations in schools, colleges, or office environments or in written examinations and assignments
No, physical appearances are not universal and they vary depending on various factors such as geography, race, genetics, etc.
Now that we have understood adjectives and ways to describe the physical appearances of a person or a thing, this article should comprehensively help students from class 1 to class 10 to learn how to describe physical appearances keeping in mind various factors.