How to Write a Resignation Letter?: An employee often writes a resignation letter and does not wish to continue writing the right employment resignation letter to the recruiter or boss. The letter is a notice period or information submitted that includes the reason for leaving the work.
There are many methods and tips by which you can submit a resignation letter. Still, resignation letter email is not very encouraged as it is often regarded as unprofessional and might get piled up with other important business emails. That is why it is always said to submit resignation letters to the boss itself by hand that can also be printed or handwritten.
There is a specific format to be maintained so that the resignation letter is good, as well as use it in a way where you respect your boss or the person who gave you the position. We will help you with the steps of writing the letter and provide a simple resignation letter sample in the blog below.
How to Write a Resignation Letter?
- What is a resignation letter?
- What is the difference between resigning from a job and quitting?
- Is a resignation letter important?
- Can you write a resignation letter and send it through email?
- Steps to writing a resignation letter
- A sample of resignation letter
A resignation letter is an official record of notice provided by an employee who announces to leave their current position. This is an efficient way of letting the recruiter know that they are giving up the job or position for some reason. For example, the resignation can result from family issues, time management, moving out of the residential area and more.
You definitely cannot leave a job or resign from a position without proper notice to the higher authority; the resignation letter fulfils the gap and helps you maintain the relationship with the employer and quit working.
Resignation from a work of quitting from the work area is almost the same that is we don’t want to work further, but there are few divisions which makes them different.
- Resignation from a job is a formal way of leaving it and indicates a professional manner in the employees so that there is no problem with them getting the next job. On the other hand, if someone quits, then it means that they are leaving the job done informal way without serving the notice period or is not a professional man at all.
- Quitting from a job most indicates that they were not satisfied with the position or job they had and thus want to stop working that may include low income, work pressure, etc. Therefore, if someone is resigning from work, they have a reason that you cannot avoid. They have to resign, which may include getting better opportunities and shifting from the residential area.
- If a person quits, they may face many problems to get their next placement or job reference for their unprofessional manner. On the other hand, when a person resigns from a position with a formal letter and reason, they are more likely to get a good job reference.
For all the shortcomings that quitting a job gives, it is advised to resign from a job with a convincing and legitimate reason. Employment is hard these days, so no one should take actions that will cause their future questions, saying the recruiter can excuse such exceptional reasons as an emergency, harassment by office workers, or others.
If a person decides to leave their job, then it is not an overnight decision that he can take alone, being employed to a company he is answerable to his boss. There are many reasons for which a person can choose to resign from their job, be it a student or an adult.
A few out of the most common reasons for resignation are:
- Resigning a job if the employee has found a better opportunity at any other place
- Resigning from a job due to relocation of their living area in some other state or country can also be another locality where they cannot communicate.
- Any family emergency or circumstances that leaves you to have no option but resign from the job.
- Resignation is due to a change in someone’s career or pursuing higher education to increase their job prospects.
A resignation letter is given when you do not wish to continue working at your workplace, which is a professional ground. Unless it is work related to the office, it is always suggested to do letters transactions face to face.
It is never advisable to submit a resignation letter through the mail because it can often get filed up and is a sign of showing your gratitude to your recruiter. Instead, you should submit the letter to your manager in person or discuss with your HR and deliver it by hand. This is the simplest way where you can avoid any doubt confusion mentioned in the letter and does not make you an unprofessional employee.
Even though it is not recommended to write an email for resignation, here are a few basic writing tips.
- Make the Subject of the email resignation, do not use any relevant words.
- Start with the proper Designation and keep your language simple but professional.
- Send your email at least three weeks before your resignation and inform HR in person.
- Keep the explanation positive, and as you are not in front, there might be confusion about your approach.
- You may be in front of some questions, and there are chances that your resignation will be turned down if not written properly.
- Send a follow-up mail after one week to see if the company has received the email and is by their knowledge.
Before following any of these steps, check your employment contract and see if your resignation is part of the approval. Also, check if there were any restrictions in the job letter regarding the notice period or any other concerns you should address before resigning.
A resignation letter is written after consulting with your company’s HR so that there is no problem or delay when you plan to leave the job.
- Before starting the letter, write the letter’s time and date in the left font. This is a very necessary state that is often skipped but is required for the team to keep track of their priorities based on the date.
- Start with the proper Designation or greetings that shows respect towards your recruiter. For example, you can include words like good morning, hello, respected or Mr/Mrs with their last name.
- State the resignation reason clearly and don’t keep them under the shadow. While saying the reason start writing with the post or position you hold and clearly state your Subject.
- Don’t forget to mention your gratitude to the company, and this will help maintain the relationship and conduct transactions, if any.
- When submitting the resignation letter, a standard procedure is to provide a notice period of around two weeks, which has to be approved by the company. In addition, mention the last date of your working in the company.
- Close the letter with a formal closer like your sincerely, thank you for your time, etc.
A resignation letter must be approachable and convincing so that the person receiving it will find it acceptable. Written below are a few simple ways by which you can elevate your letter.
- Give the letter to your boss in person in place of sending it over email so that you can have a face to face conversation.
- Keep the letter brief and don’t include unnecessary information that will drive them from that topic of our resignation.
- Mention your concern about the company and what are the ways by which you can help them overcome the shortage they will be facing when you leave.
- As a gesture, you can offer the company that you will be training your replacement is allowed.
- Write the letter format in such a way that you planned immediately leaving or within two weeks so that they cannot convince you to stay longer.
- Don’t get too creative and sugarcoat things at the beginning of the writing or even at the body, be straightforward and stick to the points.
- Follow whatever the HR department of the manager and structure so that the transaction plan goes by smoothly and do not spoil relationships with coworkers.
the format of your resignation letter is based on why you are leaving work. The approach can be different based on the reason for leaving.
- Start with greetings and your Subject,
For example, Respected Sir Hope you are doing well; kindly read this letter as a form of resignation from the post I am currently in(include), company (include). I would appreciate it if my last day of work would be ( any date after two weeks).
- Start your letter by showing gratitude and appreciate the opportunity given to you why offering you the position.
For example, thank you for the opportunity you have provided me to explore and improve me; I appreciate all the effort and time invested. I will keep using them throughout my career ahead with your input.
- Show your willingness and concern to help with the transition and the work that will be done by you.
For example, with my last two weeks, I will complete all the works pending with my co-workers, and I also am looking forward to training the person acquiring my position if needed.
- End the letter in a good note with greetings.
For example, I am thankful to you for the opportunity that you have provided, will looking forward to your reply—Thank you_ Designation.
This is the general format to be maintained. I am writing a letter now; we will include a sample that will help you understand it even better.
Dear Mrs Colen
I am writing this letter to notify me that I am resigning from my position as a finance department manager at the office of Kerry Street, Florida, by the date 20th November 2021, on Friday.
Thank you for the opportunity provided over the past four years, and I would cherish all the knowledge in my future path. I plan to office serve as a content creator at a private farm and explore this part of my career in the near future.
I will be winding up all the work and meeting the deadlines at the earliest possible, and I can also assist the person with my position if required.
Thank you for your time and guidance throughout this period. Looking forward to keeping in touch, and I wish the company continued success.
To conclude now, it must be clear to you that why a resignation letter is important when you wish to leave a job; also, the importance of maintaining the proper format and style so that the receiver is not offended by it and grant you the break or demand needed.